Thursday, May 23, 2013

Reading Option 1

Shutter:1/3
Iso-800
Aperture:F5
For this days assignment we were supposed to pick a magazine and relate our pictures to the demographic of the readers. Along with this, we needed to utilize shutter speed in order to obtain a correct exposure for our pictures. I chose the Conde Nast Traveler as my magazine and decided to do a restaurant analysis of Kamari Beach. The demographic of Conde Nast Traveler is as follows: age of reader-43, Household Income- ~$90,000, College educated readers: 46%. I had to take this into great consideration when choosing restaurants around Kamari Beach to photograph. I couldn't cater to people like myself when shooting, I had to think more like my parents. I chose a variety of restaurants with varying atmospheres such as, high quality food, family friendly, romantic, and late night snack food. The reason shutter speed is important for these shots is the lighting. Most of the restaurants I shot, such as the one above, don't look all that interesting until the nighttime crowd comes in. This creates a large problem for getting good focus within your exposure. Using a low shutter speed of 1/3, I was able to capture the low light of the pool bar but I had to be incredibly still to prevent blur. A tripod is very helpful for low lighting and long shutter speed shots, but a steady hand or table will do the job too. 

2 comments:

  1. Great image to illustrate how you took Conde Nast demographic into consideration as well as how you applied course reading to construction of image given lighting conditions, time of day, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I literally had to type "Crusty Tedsie" in order to prove I wasn't a robot to leave the previous comment. F'REAL :)

    ReplyDelete